The Southern Fans' College Football Poll: Big East Coaching Boards - Week 4

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Big East Coaching Boards - Week 4

The Big East hasn't exactly come off to a rousing start, with only UConn and South Florida remaining undefeated coming into the last week of the September.

1. Jim Leavitt
South Florida
I hate Jim Leavitt. I really really do. Some people have questioned me why - was it because of the 2007 Auburn victory that I hold the grudge? I like to think not. What really bothers me about him is that he'll recruit players that couldn't make it through my junior high science class, and can't make a 12 on the ACT. Either way, I'm giving him respect for getting the Bulls to the top of the Big East and avoiding major NCAA sanctions along the way. Good job Jim.

2. Brian Kelly
Cincinnati
I like Brian Kelly. I really really do. I have faith that he'll overtake USF, at least before he takes a cushier job elsewhere. And that's another thing I dislike about Jim Leavitt - thinking that remaining in Tampa is a better gig than coaching a top tier SEC school. Jim Leavitt is a coward. Oh, right Kelly - his only loss is at Oklahoma in September, which is kinda common for anyone playing in Norman early in the season.

3. Randy Edsall
UConn
I've tried my best to keep the UConn coach near the bottom of the conference, but everyone else keeps bailing. The Huskies are unbeaten, with wins over Virginia and Baylor to hang their hats on. That's right SEC fans, all you gotta do to be in the top tier of the Big East is beat Virginia and Baylor. Not exactly South Carolina or Mississippi State, is it?

4. Greg Schiano
Rutgers
This is a ranking of the coaches and not the teams in-season performance. The Scarlet Knights have been a force under Schiano the last few seasons, and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt through the rough 0-3 start. That'll be 1-3 with the win over Morgan State this weekend, but Rutgers heads to Morgantown next week in what's got to be one of the season's most disappointing match-ups. Schiano is hanging on to the fourth spot by a thread.

5. Steve Kragthorpe
Louisville
Coach Krag raises to No. 5 with his win over Kansas State - hooray, he's finally to .500 as UL's head coach. The win over Kansas STate was big, and (from my standpoint) surprising. The Cardinals host UConn this weekend in their first Big East contest of the season. UL was on the wrong end of a horrible call last season, that cost them to the game against UConn. Here's hoping they avenge the loss.

6. Dave Wannstedt
Pittsburgh
I guess the Stash hasn't righted the ship since the embarrassing loss to Bowling Green to start the season. Pitt's beaten Buffalo and Iowa since the opening season loss. Pitt is going to Syracuse this weekend, but Dave won't move unless it's down in the rankings following a loss to the Cuse.

7. Bill Stewart
West Virginia
And the weekly Tommy Bowden Waste of Talent award goes to...

8. Greg Robinson
Syracuse
'Cuse in the House?!?!! Not by far...

0 comments:

Post a Comment