The Southern Fans' College Football Poll: And so they begin...

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

And so they begin...


EagleBank Bowl
Saturday, Dec. 20, 11 a.m. ESPN
Navy vs. Wake Forest
Wake Forest favored by 3
Hooray... The first of the bowl games finally arrives with this early 11 a.m. EST kickoff, only to be followed by three more games (which ESPN, conveniently, starts at different times). Normally, this setup would have me parked on the couch, juggling remotes with one hand while pumping the keg with the other. Unfortunately, this is our family Christmas weekend, so I'll have to split time watching the tube and my not-yet-two-year-old nephew eat wrapping paper. But that'll be okay for this early morning kickoff because I didn't go to Auburn for the Tennessee game. Why is that important? Because I already saw Navy upset Wake Forest in Winston-Salem on Sept. 24.

So obviously, we already know what's going to happen in D.C. Take the Middies and the 3.

Auburn John's Expert Prediction: Navy 24 Wake Forest 17


New Mexico Bowl
Saturday, Dec. 20, 2:30 p.m. ESPN
Fresno State vs. Colorado State
Fresno State favored by 3
I'm guessing that by 2:30 the kid will be full and ready for a nap, so I should be able to pay attention to this one, though I'll probably still be lacking that first beer. I last saw Colorado State play on Aug. 31, so I know Fresno State much better because I saw them play Wisconsin two weeks later. While in my head the Rams and Bulldogs should be a combined 0-2, somehow they've been invited to a bowl game. Unfortunately, these guys haven't played each other before, so you'll have to make your own guess on who'll win this one.

Interestingly, this game is the first of only four bowl games without a title sponsor but the sixth of the ESPN-owned bowls.

2 comments:

  1. Well I've got to argue against a second Wake upset by Navy, but only because it is so hard to beat a team twice. That said it is a home game for Navy, but they lose a nail-bitter thanks to a Sam Swank FG, provided he's healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete