The Southern Fans' College Football Poll: Relax, it's just the end of Day 1

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Relax, it's just the end of Day 1

Magicjack St. Petersburgh Bowl
Saturday, Dec. 20, 4:30 p.m. ESPN2
South Florida vs. Memphis
South Florida favored by 13
Alright, quick: What's a Magicjack? ... ... ... Yeah, it's okay that you didn't know. I was actually looking up the spreads when I saw an infomercial for this product, and it's perhaps one of the worst made infomercial's I've ever seen. It took me 3 minutes of starring at the TV before I realized what this simple device does. I'm guessing that I'll have bought four of them before this game between the Bulls and the Tigers is over (make that 10 if I've actually had those beers... These'll be GREAT stocking-stuffers and Christmas is only five days away!).

As for the game, this is probably going to be one of the ugliest. The bowl is basically a stone's throw from the USF campus and, while Matt Grothe has the capability to keep Memphis in it, the Bulls should overpower the undermanned Tigers on the field and in the stands. Tommy West, who is clawing his way back to a .500 career record, has to be asking where DeAngelo Williams is and how he can get him back in a Tigers jersey. Jim Leavitt would know.

Oh, and Jim Leavitt is a cheater. Go TIGERS!

Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl
Saturday, Dec. 20, 8 p.m. ESPN
BYU vs. Arizona
Arizona favored by 3.5
Finally, a game that I can really sink my teeth into. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn't start drinking at 11 a.m. The Cougars attempt to go 3-0 against the Pac-10 while keeping as far away from the Strip as possible. For some reason, I see the Mormons being a little more distracted going to Vegas than the Wildcats - Tuscon is just Vegas-lite.

BYU finished third in the MWC and were blasted by conference rivals TCU and Utah. The Cougars needed a horrible personal foul call to beat Washington while Arizona beat the Huskies by 34. Even though BYU is 10-2, the 7-5 Arizona lost it's games by an average of 5.6 points, and Arizona opened as an early 3.5 point favorite. (I know you're all impressed by these numbers, especially since they are worthless during bowl time.)

I do expect this one to be much more competitive than the Grothe Bowl, which should make for a good end to the first day of bowls.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first game should be really painful for Memphis, but I've seen South Florida not show up before. The Bulls should win easily by 17.

    The BYU game is another story. We'll get a real idea of how good the Mountain West is. I really think BYU is a good team, and they play an Arizona team that limped into a bowl game. BYU wins this game, provided they dont get too distracted in Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how wrong was I about BYU? This really casts some doubts for me on the Mountain West as a whole. If this team can't beat a mediocre Arizona team, how well will Utah and TCU fair?

    ReplyDelete